Thursday, March 13, 2014

Two Oceans Ultra-Marathon Fundraising and the "Groot Gat" (Big Hole) Marathon

Two Oceans Ultra-Marathon Fundraising


In January, I set my sights on the Two Oceans Ultra Marathon in Cape Town. This is a 56-kilometer (34.7 mile) race that is commonly called “The most beautiful marathon in the world.” The marathon stretches along the mountainous coastal roads of Cape Town. It will definitely be fun.

The Two Oceans Marathon will be different than the marathon I ran here in Kimberley that I write about below, because I am running for more than the personal challenge. I’m running to support the cause that I have been working for over the past seven months.  On April 19th, I will be running for Grassroot Soccer to raise funds that will help GRS continue its important work in South Africa. My goal is to raise $2,500.

Anyone that has run with me understands how much more I love running for a team than for myself. I’m excited to be running for the Grassroot Soccer team on April 19th. Any and all support for our team, however big or small, is greatly appreciated.

Link to donation page: 

The tier level reward system for all donations is as follows:
·      $10 – Personal letter from myself
·      $50 – 1lb. Candy bag (compliments of Chutters, World’s Longest Candy Counter and Jim Alden) and a personal letter
·      $100 – Grassroot Soccer T-shirt and a personal letter
·      $250 – Grassroot Soccer Hoody and a personal letter
·      $500 – South African National team Jersey and a personal letter
           

Groot Gat (Big Hole) Marathon – March 1st, 2014 

Moving into the last 5k with support and water from kids on the road


Two weeks ago I was pushed to my physical limits. On March 1st I ran in the Groot Gat Marathon in my South African hometown of Kimberley. Running a marathon has been on my mind ever since my college track career ended so I jumped at the opportunity to compete in my first 26.2 in the arid Northern Cape landscapes of South Africa. I figured it was smart to run at least one marathon before jumping into the deep waters of the Two Oceans Ultra (no pun intended).

            After a “welkom” speech in Afrikaans, a prayer, and then three misfires of the starting gun, the gun went off and the two or three hundred runners that had made it out of bed for the 6AM start began to move through the streets of Kimberley. There were three races, a 10k, 21.1k (half-marathon), and the 42.2k (marathon). My fellow intern, Mimi, joined me to participate in the 10k but due to alarm clock problems, barely made it out of bed in time.

Fortunately for all of us, it had rained the night before, which kept the streets cool until about 8AM when the relentless sun dried out the air and turned the streets into long strips of frying pans. The course started with a short pass through the town, past the famous Big Hole, leading out through the neighborhoods, and at about the 12 kilometer the course turned onto the N12 highway that leads to Cape Town. By this time, the line of the front pack spaced out, and most of the runners were running alone along the highway. This turned out to be a good thing for me when my morning coffee ran its course through my body and I was forced to squat behind a bush on the side of the road. I was happy for myself and the other runners that there was plenty of space between myself and anyone else. I won’t go into any more detail.


The route along the N12 eventually turned off to a rock quarry and 8 kilometers of winding dirt trails that led down into the deep quarry itself. The hill leading out of the quarry was a treacherous ascent that my legs were angry about for the final 20 kilometers on the hot roads leading back into Kimberley to finish the 42.2-kilometer loop. 

I learned a lot in the course of the marathon; about myself, about running, about the real meaning of pain and the real meaning fun. With 10k left my legs were heavy, hot, and drained. I shortened my strides because it was the only way I could maintain my pace and keep my legs moving somewhat fluidly. After Mimi finished her 10k, she drove out to meet me at checkpoints along the end of the route with powerades, small snacks, and encouraging cheers that made the final stretch of the race manageable. I can’t thank her enough.

I think the most surprising and challenging aspect of the marathon was the last 3 miles. I expected that once I reached the 40k mark of the 42.2, my legs and mind would be recharged when I could sense the finish. This was not the case. In fact I couldn’t sense the finish until I was about 100 meters away from it. Until that last 100 meters, my legs were begging me to stop. In my 10+ year running career, my body has never felt that type of fatigue or pain.


I don’t want to overstate the pain though, because that is why I signed up for the marathon when I found out about it at the beginning of January. Not in any kind of masochistic, bodily sacrifice kind of way (I don’t think) but in the sense that we are rarely challenged, and rarely do we challenge ourselves, to do something that we aren’t sure we are capable of. I think the process of working through a challenge like that, and finding out what we are capable of, is one of the most fun things in the world. 


Medal for the Groot Gat 42.2k and Mimi's medal for the Kort Gat (Little Hole) 10k



Training in Mozambique

No comments:

Post a Comment